Blogging isn’t a science. There isn’t an exact way to make people read and like your blog, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
- It’s relate-able. If you write about an experience or an activity that a large amount of people have shared, they’re going to want to read your account to see how it stacks up with their own, as well as get and/or receive advice.
- It tugs at emotions. Whether your blog is funny or sad, people are going to want to read it, especially if it’s sad because it’s funny.
- Post a lot, just don’t write a lot in each post. Lots of short and sweet posts will keep readers hooked, very few long posts will turn people away.
- Don’t be afraid to use lists and rankings. They’re easy to read and people like them, why do you think magazines use them so much?
- Use photos. It can be a pain, but readers like photos. A picture is truly worth 1,000 words.
- Be true. Good stories are good because they actually happened. Don’t fabricate to be sensational, you’ll just get caught in your lies.
If you’d like to start an Areavoices blog, contact Katherine Grandstrand at The Dickinson Press via email (kgrandstrand @ thedickinsonpress.com) or phone (701.456.1206). Your blog could be featured on The Press and other Forum Communications Co. website.